It started out very simply: like many of you reading this article, we had a couple of older laptops and iPhones that were simply idle taking up space in a cabinet. Instead of trying to sell them, our boys suggested we see if a local family in need could find value in them for their children’s use. So, we posted the items on a local classifieds site and the response was truly humbling.
We instantly began receiving dozens of very personal, touching stories from families who really needed a computer but couldn’t afford one. Almost concurrently, we began receiving countless offers from friends who were willing to donate their laptops and phones to needy families. It was a truly moving experience.
The only thing even more moving was receiving notes of gratitude along with pictures from the families. Said one mother, “such a great idea to help those in need of computers in their home. My 6- and 8-year-olds where so excited and started to tell about all the school programs that they can do on the computer now.”
So, an idea was borne: Idle2Vital. Let’s all commit to ensuring nothing of value remains idle in our homes; let’s instead turn them into vital tools that so many families need.
Please help by doing the following three things:
- Find idle electronics that for which you no longer have daily use:
- Laptops, tablets, or desktop computers that are still operational and can be returned to factory settings.
- Smart phones that are still in good working order (iPhones, Android-based, or Windows-based phones).
- Video game consoles along with the games.
- Post them on local classifieds board tagging them with “#Idle2Vital“ so as they can be found as free items offered to families in need.
- Share this concept with your friends and family so we can begin a movement to help one another and so others are aware of this need.
Thank you, in advance, for your help in making a small difference.